Authors.com

Authors, Writers, Publishers, and Book Readers

People always assume to be a good writer, or a good anything, you have to be an adualt. I completely disagree. I'm 12 years old, and I'm working on a novel and have ideas for two others. When I lived in Texas, I would sit in my tree in my backyard with my best friends and we would make up stoies together, and most of them were very well thought out.

Views: 57

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for all your support you guys! Looks like I'll be on for a long time though because my mom (really me with her permission) sent the e-mail last night! Oh, and scribbler, thanks for your help but it was actually going to be just one more year because it was only 'till I was thirteen. And to the person who moniters this site, I know you were only doing your job and I'm not mad. You know, in all this whoopla, we completely stopped talking about the fact about all underage writer's. We just started talking about me. Thanks again for all your support you guys! You really are true friends! (whether I know you or not haha!)
Sandra, I just read your blog and had posted asking what your inspiration was for that before I came to the forum so you've answered me already. :) I agree with what you say. I can always tell when someone's heart is in a piece and when they're just going through the motions. Yours made me fill up because we have family in there too. Thanks for sharing it, I forgot to say that.

Callie, good luck with your mom. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Sandra Kitchen said:
Kay, the only real advice I can give you is write what you’re passionate about, for example this short story was written about a soldier that was home from war and dreaming of going back. That is where he felt at home, and I drew on the fact that I have a child in the military. I posted the short story in the blogs postings.
Callie, hopefully your mother will see that this is not a group where there would be anything posted that is not fit for someone your age.

Kay Elizabeth said:
Hear, hear Sandra. If you can't hold your reader's attention and it's important to you to sell your work, you might as well start over. I love books that suck me in where I lose all sense of time. I've burned many a dinner because of them. :) Any tips you want to share on how to keep it interesting?
Oh, I read that. It was very well written and I loved it. It was so cool!

Sandra Kitchen said:
Kay, the only real advice I can give you is write what you’re passionate about, for example this short story was written about a soldier that was home from war and dreaming of going back. That is where he felt at home, and I drew on the fact that I have a child in the military. I posted the short story in the blogs postings.

Callie, hopefully your mother will see that this is not a group where there would be anything posted that is not fit for someone your age.

Kay Elizabeth said:
Hear, hear Sandra. If you can't hold your reader's attention and it's important to you to sell your work, you might as well start over. I love books that suck me in where I lose all sense of time. I've burned many a dinner because of them. :) Any tips you want to share on how to keep it interesting?
Glad to hear you're all sorted out okay Callie and your mom's gave her permission. We would have missed you being here! :)
Awesome!!! You're staying!!

Callie Leah said:
Thanks for all your support you guys! Looks like I'll be on for a long time though because my mom (really me with her permission) sent the e-mail last night! Oh, and scribbler, thanks for your help but it was actually going to be just one more year because it was only 'till I was thirteen. And to the person who moniters this site, I know you were only doing your job and I'm not mad. You know, in all this whoopla, we completely stopped talking about the fact about all underage writer's. We just started talking about me. Thanks again for all your support you guys! You really are true friends! (whether I know you or not haha!)
I second that emotion. I'm very glad to see that you'll still be able to join in here Callie! No excuse for holding back now and not showing us more of your stuff. ;) Do a nice thing for your mom and show her how much you appreciate that.

Viviana Arteaga said:

Callie Leah said:
I certainly will!

Kay Elizabeth said:
I second that emotion. I'm very glad to see that you'll still be able to join in here Callie! No excuse for holding back now and not showing us more of your stuff. ;) Do a nice thing for your mom and show her how much you appreciate that.

Viviana Arteaga said:

Callie Leah said:
Lmao! I've had that as well. In my English class we always had about half an hour or something, sometimes even the whole period, would be dedicated to just reading and the majority of the class hated it and spent that time talking, which I guess the teacher didn't really care, as she let them talk away anyway, but I was always nose deep into a book. My Brother, who's younger then me, still picks on me, or attempts to, because I read. I probably get it from my Grandmother, who loves to read as well. The two of us share the same interests in a lot of stuff, books, T.V, movies, and we even hate the same stuff as well. For example: We both hate it when someone doggy ears a book. My friend did that to one of my books and I threw a fit and haven't let him borrow a book since. XD.
But to answer your topic question, I don't think age should be a factor at anything you do. Of course, as everyone else said, with age comes experience, but just because you don't have life experience, doesn't mean you can't write a gripping novel about something you do know about. Just because you haven't traveled to space or seen the future, doesn't mean you can't write a Sci-Fi. Just because you haven't been in-love or been in a relationship doesn't mean you can't write a romance etc, etc... I've been writing since I was 10 and I never let that discourage me. I've been drawing since I was 3, and even though my art hasn't gotten any better, I still love to do it.

Callie Leah said:
Wow, thanks you guys. This only proves my point further. My best friend is a much better writer than I am, and she's only 2 months older than me! A lot of young children could be good writers, people just think books are dumb for some reason. I had a group of boys in my school today call me weird because I was reading when I could have been conversing, but when they said that, all I thought of was the fact that one day, I would be a rich and famous author while they were sitting under a bridge somewhere. :-)
Thanks! I'm actually writing a murder novel right now. It sort of has to do with romance, but not really. Romance was the cause of two murders. And I'm also writing a novel about a mermaid. I haven't really started it yet, but I have the plot completely planned in my head. I didn't really start writing stories until I was 11 going on 12, but my best friend and I used to talk about making up stories since I was 8. We just never wrote them down. I started writing poetry in the fifth grade, when my english teacher said we would be starting poetry in a week or two. I have a lot in common with my dad. We both love to read, we both do good in school, we both love poetry, and we both LOVE mind puzzles. Not games of chance, like with cards and stuff, but games like sudoku and chess.

Andrew Kunz said:
Lmao! I've had that as well. In my English class we always had about half an hour or something, sometimes even the whole period, would be dedicated to just reading and the majority of the class hated it and spent that time talking, which I guess the teacher didn't really care, as she let them talk away anyway, but I was always nose deep into a book. My Brother, who's younger then me, still picks on me, or attempts to, because I read. I probably get it from my Grandmother, who loves to read as well. The two of us share the same interests in a lot of stuff, books, T.V, movies, and we even hate the same stuff as well. For example: We both hate it when someone doggy ears a book. My friend did that to one of my books and I threw a fit and haven't let him borrow a book since. XD.
But to answer your topic question, I don't think age should be a factor at anything you do. Of course, as everyone else said, with age comes experience, but just because you don't have life experience, doesn't mean you can't write a gripping novel about something you do know about. Just because you haven't traveled to space or seen the future, doesn't mean you can't write a Sci-Fi. Just because you haven't been in-love or been in a relationship doesn't mean you can't write a romance etc, etc... I've been writing since I was 10 and I never let that discourage me. I've been drawing since I was 3, and even though my art hasn't gotten any better, I still love to do it.

Callie Leah said:
Wow, thanks you guys. This only proves my point further. My best friend is a much better writer than I am, and she's only 2 months older than me! A lot of young children could be good writers, people just think books are dumb for some reason. I had a group of boys in my school today call me weird because I was reading when I could have been conversing, but when they said that, all I thought of was the fact that one day, I would be a rich and famous author while they were sitting under a bridge somewhere. :-)
That is a pet hate of mine too when a book gets dog eared. I'm very selective about who I lend my books to. They don't get to borrow it if I think for one minute they wouldn't give it back to me in the same pristine condition I gave them it. I wouldn't let him near mine either again if he did that!

Andrew Kunz said:
For example: We both hate it when someone doggy ears a book. My friend did that to one of my books and I threw a fit and haven't let him borrow a book since. XD.

I've lent two books to one of my friends, and the first one had the most awesome map in it. When I went to her house, it was torn out! And one of the pages was completely torn out. The other one I hadn't even read yet, and she's younger than me, and I always give in so I'm miserable all the time. When she gave it back, it had something on one of the corners that was mushy, and gushy, and it smelled like rotten wild grapes. I didn't want to lend it to her, but I couldn't say no. I know she's going to ask again for a book, and I know that I won't be able to say no, but it's OK because my mom has now forbidden me to lend anything to anyone, all because of her. The thing that makes me most mad, is that technically, I didn't land it to her. We traded books for one week, and when I gave hers back, it was in pristene condition. (Exept for the bite her dog had taken out of the back cover, but she let him do that before I even knew she had the book.) I'm glad I can't ever lend her a book again.

scribbler said:
That is a pet hate of mine too when a book gets dog eared. I'm very selective about who I lend my books to. They don't get to borrow it if I think for one minute they wouldn't give it back to me in the same pristine condition I gave them it. I wouldn't let him near mine either again if he did that!

Andrew Kunz said:
For example: We both hate it when someone doggy ears a book. My friend did that to one of my books and I threw a fit and haven't let him borrow a book since. XD.

Callie, I'm really sorry to hear that. Your mom's right! Books are too expensive to not be taken care of. Your mom might be able to help you come up with a way to let your friend know that's not right. I would try anyway.

Do her parents know? If I had done that to a book I'd borrowed when I was young, my dad would have killed me. Couldn't her mom or dad explain it to her? Because she can't keep on doing that. Does she treat her own books like that too?

Callie Leah said:
I've lent two books to one of my friends, and the first one had the most awesome map in it. When I went to her house, it was torn out! And one of the pages was completely torn out. The other one I hadn't even read yet, and she's younger than me, and I always give in so I'm miserable all the time. When she gave it back, it had something on one of the corners that was mushy, and gushy, and it smelled like rotten wild grapes. I didn't want to lend it to her, but I couldn't say no. I know she's going to ask again for a book, and I know that I won't be able to say no, but it's OK because my mom has now forbidden me to lend anything to anyone, all because of her. The thing that makes me most mad, is that technically, I didn't land it to her. We traded books for one week, and when I gave hers back, it was in pristene condition. (Exept for the bite her dog had taken out of the back cover, but she let him do that before I even knew she had the book.) I'm glad I can't ever lend her a book again.
scribbler said:

Andrew Kunz said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Sponsored Links

Most Active Members

1. Edward F. T. Charfauros

San Diego, CA, United States

2. RF Husnik

Green Bay, WI, United States

3. Rosemary Morris

Watford, United Kingdom

© 2024   Created by Authors.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service