Authors.com

Authors, Writers, Publishers, and Book Readers

Please share what inspires you, has touched you or is in some way memorable for you. I'm very fond of quotes by writers that give me a peek inside their skulls, like this one. :)

Often I'll find clues to where the story might go by figuring out where the characters would rather not go. - Doug Lawson

Views: 328

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I tried doing that once.
My notebook ended up on the floor
and by the time I found it, I forgot everything!! T.T

Betty Damil said:
i know right. lol we are not alone. Thank god.
forcing ourselves up out of bed, shows our true dedication to writing. lol

Kay Elizabeth said:
Heck, I don't want to wake up that much! :) It would just be nice to be able to decipher them. I read this quote today. We're in good company.

"I willingly trust myself to chance. I let my thoughts wander, I digress, not only sitting at my work, but all day long, all night even. It often happens that a sentence suddenly runs through my head before I go to bed, or when I am unable to sleep, and I get up again and write it down." - Simone de Beauvoir

Betty Damil said:
wow. lol my handwriting is simply chicken scrawl anyway. lol funny how sometimes i cant read my own handwrting...try keepig a small book light. ;)

Kay Elizabeth said:
Betty Damil said:
hahah i sleep with a notebook and pen in my pillowcase. lol because i imagine parts and dialouge from my book, and since i have bad memory, i write it down before i pass out. My thought become so clear once im alone and unstable within reality.

I've done that too and scrawled down the most brilliant ideas in the middle of the night. Then in the morning I can't read a word of them LOL. I really should take time to make the notes legible. :)
One of the few things I know about writing is this: spend it all, shoot it, play it, lose it, all, right away, every time. Do not hoard what seems good for a later place in the book, or for another book; give it, give it all, give it now. - Annie Dillard
You are not here merely to make a living. You are here in order to enable the world to live more amply, with greater vision, with a finer spirit of hope and achievement. - Woodrow Wilson
Finish. The difference between being a writer and being a person of talent is the discipline it takes to apply the seat of your pants to the seat of your chair and finish. Don't talk about doing it. Do it. Finish. - E. L. Konigsburg
You don't write a novel out of sheer pity any more than you blow a safe out of a vague longing to be rich. A certain ruthlessness and a sense of alienation from society is as essential to creative writing as it is to armed robbery. - Nelson Algren
Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great. - Mark Twain
The most original thing a writer can do is write like himself. It is also his most difficult task. - Robertson Davies
The most original of authors are not so because they advance what is new, but more because they know how to say something, as if it had never been said before. - Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
Aww!! Im just a person of talent!! lol But it's totally true!
I like this one!

Kay Elizabeth said:
Finish. The difference between being a writer and being a person of talent is the discipline it takes to apply the seat of your pants to the seat of your chair and finish. Don't talk about doing it. Do it. Finish. - E. L. Konigsburg
I really like that too! You can have all the talent in the world but if you don't share it, no-one will ever know.

Viviana Arteaga said:
Aww!! Im just a person of talent!! lol But it's totally true!
I like this one!

Kay Elizabeth said:
All of us failed to match our dreams of perfection. So I rate us on the basis of our splendid failure to do the impossible. - William Faulkner
You can't build a reputation on what you're GOING to do. - Henry Ford

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Sponsored Links

Most Active Members

1. Edward F. T. Charfauros

San Diego, CA, United States

2. RF Husnik

Green Bay, WI, United States

3. Rosemary Morris

Watford, United Kingdom

© 2024   Created by Authors.com.   Powered by