Do you often feel dryness in your mouth? If yes, then you must be suffering from dry mouth i.e. xerostomia. Though it is quite uncomfortable to live with dry mouth, there are many cures & home-remedies you can eliminate or reduce this problem. You should pay attention to one thing that if this condition remains for several weeks even after trying so many tricks, you need to see the Dental Clinic Jaipur.
What Is Dry Mouth And What Does It Mean?
Saliva plays a very important role in moistening & cleansing our mouth and digest food. It also prevents infection and fungi in the mouth but when there is no proper saliva is being produced, our mouth gets dry and causes xerostomia. It can be uncomfortable for people but home remedies can cure it.
What Causes Dry Mouth?
Before we know the home remedies to cure dry mouth problems, it is good to know what causes it. It is caused when the salivary glands in the mouth are not able to make enough saliva to keep the mouth wet.
These are the causes:
- Medications: When you are under multiple medications including over-the-counter drugs, it causes dry mouth as a side-effect. Some of these drugs include depression, high BP and anxiety, and muscle relaxants, etc.
- Aging: Aging can be another reason that causes dry mouth in older people. It includes the contributory factors such as the use of certain medicines or changes in body ability to process medication etc.
- Other Health Conditions: Dry mouth can also be caused by certain health conditions such as diabetes, yeast infection in mouth or stroke or Alzheimer’s disease, etc. If you snore or breathe with your mouth open, it also contributes to dry mouth.
Home Remedies for Curing Dry Mouth Problems
- Drink More Water: Drinking enough or plenty of water can hydrate your mouth and provide relief from dryness. It has been founded by the studies that dehydration is also a reason for dry mouth and increasing water intake can help you with dehydration.
- Use Specially Designed Mouth Wash: A mouth-wash has been specially designed to cure the problem of dry mouth. You can try as it contains xylitol (Biotene). You can use Dry Mouth Oral Rinse or ACT total care dry mouthwash.
- Improve Oral Care: Dry mouth can be a symptom and cause of poor oral health. So, you should pay attention to improve oral hygiene. You must consult with the best dentist in Jaipur to protect the health of the mouth.
- No Breathing through Mouth: If you snore or breathe from the open mouth, it causes dry mouth and other oral health problems. So, you should try breathing through your nose instead of mouth especially if there is any dry mouth discomfort.
- Use Rinse: As the salivary glands are not able to produce saliva, a good idea to use a fluoride rinse at bedtime. This will help your teeth in getting minerals and prevents cavities and gum diseases.
- Avoid Alcohol, Caffeine And Acidic Juices: Consuming alcohol, caffeine, and acidic juices are the biggest reasons for dry mouth. So, stop consuming them as soon as possible. Try to stay away from daily coffee or juices from citrus fruits etc.
- Take Vitamins: You should take Vitamins as much as possible. Vitamin C helps oral tissues in repairing damage caused by excessive dryness while Vitamin B improves your immune systems.
This was a guide upon what a dry mouth is and its causes and home remedies. If these home remedies do not eliminate the problem, you must consult with a dentist near me as the caused could be a medication or another health condition.