Authors.com

Authors, Writers, Publishers, and Book Readers

How many of you have multiple works in progress?  Are they all the same genre? How do you divide your time between them?

Currently, I have 4 WIP's.... sounds like alot huh?  Right now I am thinking that too!  As my second book just went back to my publisher for the formatting (after 13 hours of editing, my eyes are still crossed) I find myself looking at all the projects I have in the works.

One project is about half way through - but I had come up with a snag in the plot and I got frustrated so I put it on the back burner.  Recently, as I find myself mulling over the issue, I think I found the way to work through my snag... but.... There is a more recent project that I started that I was working hard on.  As soon as I figured out how to work through the other issue, I lost my train of thought on the new one. 

Then there is the other book that I am working on with another author.  Now that one is a huge project that will be in the making for a long time, but we are throwing ideas back and forth and running plot ideas and twists back and forth.

Then there is book 3 of my series (the second book is about to be published).  After reading book 2 - and coming back to those characters I find myself running that plot hard and heavy in my mind.  Conversations and characters building.... 

I'm at a loss right now as to exactly what I should be working on.  I think I have so many things in the works that I am befuddled as to which one to go to next. 

Anyone else get themselves in this situations?  How do you work through them?

Views: 1551

Replies to This Discussion

Yep, I just want to walk into any bookstore anywhere in the world and see my books lining their shelves or make a best seller list.

With that in mind I have a book signing set up at Barnes & Noble in Davenport Iowa, October 29th at 1:00. *Happy Dance!* I'm so excited and nerve wracked at the same time as this will be my first signing. Any advice?

I'm also in!!! I used to be in construction (Drywall, Taper) but I got hurt. Anyways, I was doing a job once and where I was working, the lady had one of my poems hanging on her fidge. She wasn't home, but her husband was and he said she loved the poem and that she would have liked to meet me. I have to tell you, it was such a great feeling to have someone love my work. Another time a publisher, published two of my poems. And when I talked to her she said such nice things, I didn't know how to reply so I complimented her also. But it was fun. My biggest dream, is to stand in Barns and Noble and see my work on their shelves. Knowing me, I would stand there crying. Happy tears...By the way I finished my synopsis and I believe it's great! But now I realized I have to change the query to fit the synopsis. The synopsis is six pages. The query has to tell about the entire book in two paragraphs. I thought that would be easy, but after throwing ideas around at work tonight, I realized the synopsis might be the easy one...
Know you are worth it...Congradulation...I know when writing the book, we dream of such wonderful things and when they come we have a difficult time believing it. Amy, you'll do great!!!

Amy Manemann said:

Yep, I just want to walk into any bookstore anywhere in the world and see my books lining their shelves or make a best seller list.

With that in mind I have a book signing set up at Barnes & Noble in Davenport Iowa, October 29th at 1:00. *Happy Dance!* I'm so excited and nerve wracked at the same time as this will be my first signing. Any advice?

Sorry if this appears twice. I wrote it and it landed on another page...I'm also in!!! I used to be in construction (Drywall, Taper) but I got hurt. Anyways, I was doing a job once and where I was working, the lady had one of my poems hanging on her fidge. She wasn't home, but her husband was and he said she loved the poem and that she would have liked to meet me. I have to tell you, it was such a great feeling to have someone love my work. Another time a publisher, published two of my poems. And when I talked to her she said such nice things, I didn't know how to reply so I complimented her also. But it was fun. My biggest dream, is to stand in Barns and Noble and see my work on their shelves. Knowing me, I would stand there crying. Happy tears...By the way I finished my synopsis and I believe it's great! But now I realized I have to change the query to fit the synopsis. The synopsis is six pages. The query has to tell about the entire book in two paragraphs. I thought that would be easy, but after throwing ideas around at work tonight, I realized the synopsis might be the easy one...
Sorry if this appears twice but when I wrote it, it landed ao another page...I'm also in!!! I used to be in construction (Drywall, Taper) but I got hurt. Anyways, I was doing a job once and where I was working, the lady had one of my poems hanging on her fidge. She wasn't home, but her husband was and he said she loved the poem and that she would have liked to meet me. I have to tell you, it was such a great feeling to have someone love my work. Another time a publisher, published two of my poems. And when I talked to her she said such nice things, I didn't know how to reply so I complimented her also. But it was fun. My biggest dream, is to stand in Barns and Noble and see my work on their shelves. Knowing me, I would stand there crying. Happy tears...By the way I finished my synopsis and I believe it's great! But now I realized I have to change the query to fit the synopsis. The synopsis is six pages. The query has to tell about the entire book in two paragraphs. I thought that would be easy, but after throwing ideas around at work tonight, I realized the synopsis might be the easy one...

Stacy Eaton said:
Hey Catherine - I don't want to be a household name - some of those names aren't very nice - I'd prefer to just be a book on everyone's shelf!!!!  Or at least - have my books on everyone's shelf.

Amy you will be fine. Enjoy the experience of people talking about your work. Take some promotional material with you such as leaflets to hand out. People will take a leaflet more easily than a book and they do read them and think about it.

I've got a few lined up with local waterstones in the UK now. I am targeting the Christmas market now as an opportunity to boost sales. A nice Christmas present for the avid reader ' A Very English Revolution' lol

Amy Manemann said:

Amy - WHOOOOO HOOOOOOOOO!!!  Of freaking exciting!!! I was just talking to some other people who are getting ready to do book signings - they talked about how nervous they were and talked about how at large signings they had sat next to people like Nora Roberts and JR Ward.  But those were more writing conferences that included book signing days.   Oh - I can't wait to here more about this!  How did you get it set up?

I walked into the store and demanded to speak to the manager. lol Sort of. I actually approached them when I first got published about a signing and Paul the store manager couldn't find me in the system (duh, too new!). He explained the process of submitting to their buying center for approval and all the red tape involved with getting through the door. It sounded like such a headache but I was determined not to give up. And I didn't have to. As fate would have it SOMEHOW, (and I have absolutely NO clue how this happened), my paperback is now available for purchase online at Barnes & Noble which puts me into their system and allowed me in the door for signings. So many people have asked me how I did it but I honestly don't know other than a divine intervention ;0) Anyway they're going to order 5 copies (since I'm an unknown newbie) for the store to have available and I'm to bring any more that I want at the signing and then after the signing they'll keep one stocked on the shelf for customers.

I always dreamed of being a published author and having a book signing at a store like Barnes & Noble but never did I imagine that dream would come true!

Thanks for the advice Steve! I'm working on having some bookmarks made up, do you think that'd work in leu of a leaflet or would having both available be more appropriate?

Steve Norris said:

Amy you will be fine. Enjoy the experience of people talking about your work. Take some promotional material with you such as leaflets to hand out. People will take a leaflet more easily than a book and they do read them and think about it.

I've got a few lined up with local waterstones in the UK now. I am targeting the Christmas market now as an opportunity to boost sales. A nice Christmas present for the avid reader ' A Very English Revolution' lol

Amy Manemann said:

Thanks Robert! *hugs* You guys are so great, I'm so glad to have made such wonderful supportive friends.

Robert L. Allen said:
Know you are worth it...Congradulation...I know when writing the book, we dream of such wonderful things and when they come we have a difficult time believing it. Amy, you'll do great!!!

Amy Manemann said:

Robert - Glad you got the synopsis done!  You'll get the rest done soon.  Don't stress over it -unless you work better under stress like I do - then stress yourself totally out! 

it is very cool when people say how much they enjoy our work.  I am always humbled when someone says they want me to sign their book and then they hold it close to their heart and hug it.  It's so cool!

Amy - The book marks are a great idea - a think having a small leaflet would be good to - you could put your book information on it - plus you could add quotes from reviews that you have had on the book. List all the places your book is on sale, your website - your blog... The more the better!

Amy Manemann said:
Thanks for the advice Steve! I'm working on having some bookmarks made up, do you think that'd work in leu of a leaflet or would having both available be more appropriate?

Steve Norris said:

Amy Manemann said:

RSS

© 2024   Created by Authors.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service