Authors.com

Authors, Writers, Publishers, and Book Readers

How many of you have multiple works in progress?  Are they all the same genre? How do you divide your time between them?

Currently, I have 4 WIP's.... sounds like alot huh?  Right now I am thinking that too!  As my second book just went back to my publisher for the formatting (after 13 hours of editing, my eyes are still crossed) I find myself looking at all the projects I have in the works.

One project is about half way through - but I had come up with a snag in the plot and I got frustrated so I put it on the back burner.  Recently, as I find myself mulling over the issue, I think I found the way to work through my snag... but.... There is a more recent project that I started that I was working hard on.  As soon as I figured out how to work through the other issue, I lost my train of thought on the new one. 

Then there is the other book that I am working on with another author.  Now that one is a huge project that will be in the making for a long time, but we are throwing ideas back and forth and running plot ideas and twists back and forth.

Then there is book 3 of my series (the second book is about to be published).  After reading book 2 - and coming back to those characters I find myself running that plot hard and heavy in my mind.  Conversations and characters building.... 

I'm at a loss right now as to exactly what I should be working on.  I think I have so many things in the works that I am befuddled as to which one to go to next. 

Anyone else get themselves in this situations?  How do you work through them?

Views: 1551

Replies to This Discussion

Robert, thanks for the advice. I am not very good with computers beyond very basic maintenance. My husband has some friends who work in the industry, I think it's time to get them round for repairs!

Yes it is great having everyone here to chat to, it breaks up the loneliness of the writer's life...

Catherine I was just thinking that same thing tonight, how interesting! The writer's life is a lonely life. Sure we have our families and our friends (whom we rarely see) yet no one truly understands how it is we can lose ourselves for hours while we type away on a computer. A writer's life is definitely a lonely one, very fulfilling and productive in a lot of ways yet misunderstood by most.
Stacy, Wish you were here! The brother-in-law is on one of his, on again off again relationships. So I need to fugue it out alone. I'll try what you suggested. At this point, I'm not certain that having the page numbering at the bottom is that big a deal. The synopsis, itself, is problem enough. I started to revise it and I like it, but it still lacks feeling.
I don't feel my life is lonely. Perpahs, it's because I don't have a lot of loved ones. But those I have are supportive of my dreams. I get lost in my writing. I long for more time to write. Sometimes on my breaks at work, I read things to improve my writing or I write. When I wake up in the morning, I see sentences in my vision. Perhaps that is to tell me, it's time to do something other than write. But I love to write. And when my wife informs me that she wants time with me, I need to listen and I do. I think it's a great compliment. And I know she, perhaps is the lonely one. And I don't believe the writing should create that. I love to write but I also love those close to me!!!  
My wife just read this and called me a suck-up. Then she said it was beautiful???

Robert L. Allen said:
I don't feel my life is lonely. Perpahs, it's because I don't have a lot of loved ones. But those I have are supportive of my dreams. I get lost in my writing. I long for more time to write. Sometimes on my breaks at work, I read things to improve my writing or I write. When I wake up in the morning, I see sentences in my vision. Perhaps that is to tell me, it's time to do something other than write. But I love to write. And when my wife informs me that she wants time with me, I need to listen and I do. I think it's a great compliment. And I know she, perhaps is the lonely one. And I don't believe the writing should create that. I love to write but I also love those close to me!!!  My wife just
You are simply expressing yourself amongst friends, I understand! I think your wife was happy that you mentioned her. I know that my husband wishes I would go to bed at the same time as him once in a while. But, then I tell him, if I don't use this time to write and network, I will never establish myself as a famous and financially comfortable writer. He has to accept the rough with the smooth, as do we all.
Thank you, not for the beginning but your ending sentence. He, slash to me and us, all writers, have to accept the rough with the smooth. I have been revising my synopsis and I find myself second guessing my work. Sometimes we get lost in our work, but I believe and agree with you, we have too, if we want to go anywhere!!! Wouldn't it be wonderful if writer's lived near eachother and we could meet for coffee. I go to a writer's group but none of them really want to get published. Not the way I do. They get things published locally by newsletters created by the groups they are in. Which I'm sure is fun. But I want to get my work out world wide.

Catherine Green said:
You are simply expressing yourself amongst friends, I understand! I think your wife was happy that you mentioned her. I know that my husband wishes I would go to bed at the same time as him once in a while. But, then I tell him, if I don't use this time to write and network, I will never establish myself as a famous and financially comfortable writer. He has to accept the rough with the smooth, as do we all.
Robert - yes - wouldn't it be nice to get the group together that actually speaks all the time.  I know that my friends that I have met since writing are some of my closest friends and they are spread from California to England.  I got an idea!  The first one of us to get that movie deal - or million dollar book deal - buys everyone a round trip ticket and we get together for coffee and celebrate!!!! 
You got a deal Stacy, count me in!
Great idea, I'm in! Now the race is on...!

You are welcome Robert. I'm not sure what happened when I wrote that post, something seemed to take control of my words, but I was quite pleased with the outcome. That's happening a lot with my writing lately, the Muse must be on fine form!

Oh, and I find it hugely surprising to hear that your writing friends don't want to make it big. I thought that was the aim of every writer, to be a household name in their genre specialty. Oh well, it just makes us all the more special!

Robert L. Allen said:

Thank you, not for the beginning but your ending sentence. He, slash to me and us, all writers, have to accept the rough with the smooth. I have been revising my synopsis and I find myself second guessing my work. Sometimes we get lost in our work, but I believe and agree with you, we have too, if we want to go anywhere!!! Wouldn't it be wonderful if writer's lived near eachother and we could meet for coffee. I go to a writer's group but none of them really want to get published. Not the way I do. They get things published locally by newsletters created by the groups they are in. Which I'm sure is fun. But I want to get my work out world wide.

Catherine Green said:
Hey Catherine - I don't want to be a household name - some of those names aren't very nice - I'd prefer to just be a book on everyone's shelf!!!!  Or at least - have my books on everyone's shelf.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Authors.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service