Authors.com

Authors, Writers, Publishers, and Book Readers

Sharing thoughts on tips for new authors...

My first tip would be to enjoy the writing process as much as possible. It sounds simple but is such an important part of any author's fabric it must always be held up as the context for our stories.

Views: 480

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

need help writing a very important story when the book sell s 10 percent of profit the rest to charity don t want the goverments money help the poor

Know your audience...otherwise.

I agree, but how does an author know his audience? How do you know yours?

I write for my kids and always have the focus that my stories must be entertaining and engaging to them.

thank you sir i appreciate your time and in put

Sean Noonan said:

I write for my kids and always have the focus that my stories must be entertaining and engaging to them.

It is easy enough.

A writer will have done many things and bring experience to his writing.  He will know development editing, and copy and line editing are important enough and that if he can tick more boxes his audience will be more wide ranging. The approach is not restricted to genre.

When writing for children it helps to be a teacher, to run ideas past other of the intended age group, to check with adults too and to aim to entertain and give children what interests them. Feedback plays an important part. That gained from other writers is often helpful; that from other editors most welcome.

I believe it might make a good subject for an article. There are many thousands of e-books being given away free on the internet. So what is going wrong that not enough are being bought and consequently being read. Sign of our times but I'd guess the reader is more discerning than we think.  

Sean Noonan said:

i was writing about god and his purpose for us

All writers bring their own world to life in their stories. No matter how little or much of life you have had, this is enhanced by our imagination. Our power to dream. (I let mine run riot). The Universe, God, gives us both of these traits and we are wise to thank them for it. 

What gives the stories we write the form they need is the knowledge about how the stories are to work, the structures and mechanisms other writers have mapped out well before us. Read those who we admire and learn from them. Thank them for their contribution to our own works. Personally Grisham and Smith are great influences, but I have read so many it would be impractical to list them all.

Our voice, our ability to write to others in a meaningful 'easy to read' way, is again a god given talent and if we are blessed then the readers will know it. Fingers crossed!

All good writers also have a team around them, those people who help with advice, inspiration and know-how. I am blessed to have a wonderful team to help me, most important of all, my wife and children. All writers should look to find their team and keep them close. None of us, do it alone.

Don't take "writing what you love or know" to extremes. There is a general audience out there for your genre. Don't write so intimately that you leave your reader high and dry or confused. Author intrusion can ruin a book. Many memoirs and biographies end up with this problem.

A poem I wrote to remind me who I was:

A Writer is…

A humble, receptive student and negotiator

But the heart that beats within his breast

Is a determined savage

Unfamiliar with surrender

Sean, that's a great question. :) I would say learn to be patient with yourself and how fast your story or poem or whatever it is comes together to your satisfaction. First drafts are just that: drafts. They aren't set in stone. Loosen up. 

david m rump said:

need help writing a very important story when the book sell s 10 percent of profit the rest to charity don t want the goverments money help the poor

David, please post your own topic about this. It's not polite to hijack Sean's thread. Off-topic posts are very distracting.

I deleted your wall of text as it was impossible to read. Please make a new topic, use paragraphs and punctuation so we can read it more easily, and be very specific about what kind of help you need. Then we'll help you best we can. Thank you. :)

Polish your query, synopsis and book pages, then send out your proposals until hell won't have it. You don't have to stop at 100 agents or editors. Examine and list all of your sub-genres.

chris

Always let your ideas flow freely when writing your story. You can always come back later to change parts you think are not suitable.

Agree with Warren above--give yourself permission to write rough and loose; you'll go back and polish and revise once you have the major groundwork built.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Sponsored Links

Most Active Members

1. Edward F. T. Charfauros

San Diego, CA, United States

2. RF Husnik

Green Bay, WI, United States

3. Rosemary Morris

Watford, United Kingdom

© 2024   Created by Authors.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service