Authors.com

Authors, Writers, Publishers, and Book Readers

I thought I had made a good choice with my publisher, AuthorHouse.  It was $2000 for print on demand for hardcover, paperback, and ebooks.  Then, I found out a few surprises...like besides listing your book with wholesalers and online bookstores, and advertising your book on their website, they do pretty much nothing in the way of promoting your work.  It's all on you.

First, they are constantly trying to sell me more copies of my book.  And they push pretty hard.  Logic would say, If I'm selling copies, I would naturally be replenishing my stock, without being asked, because you can't sell what you don't have. 

Second, I keep getting these marketing offers.  Two to three offers a month.  These are suppose to increase my "chance" of sales.  Each of these offers cost around $2,000.  These include many things, entering your book in some quarterly, placing your book at some book show, you know the routine.  I learned my lesson after paying like $500 for a professional book review, that I could have gone direct to the source and gotten it for like $45.  One offer was for like $1900 for a 6'" x 9" space in one of their booths and some show.  After searching for the show details, I could have bought a whole 10' x 10' booth for that price.  The latest offer was last night.  Some sort of quarterly, where my specific book is suppose to be a perfect candidate, because of my subject matter.  It's suppose to be aimed at international publishers, who will pay you up front, for the rights to translate your book into other languages, and distribute them overseas.  And of coarse, as a tease, they mention the one book that the author received $4 million.  Again, they wanted me to pay them $1900.  Here was my position on that offer...If they really thought my book was such a great candidate, and so certain to be picked up, why not put my book in the quarterly for free, and simply demand a 10% finder's fee?  With the way they were trying to sell this marketing offer, I'm sure 10% is way bigger than the $1900 they were asking.

Being a first time author, I don't know if this is common practices for self-publishing, and you just have to accept it.  I'm guessing that many, if not all, probably do this to some extend.  Fortuneately for me, I spent a summer selling Fuller Brush, when I was young, so I'm not an easy touch for a salesman.  But then, I just tell them the truth. I'm poor, and i maxed out my credit card to fulfill my dream of being an author, and that I don't have the money...besides, my goal was never to be a best-selling author, it's just to break even.  Anything beyond that is a bonus.

But I am thankful for finding this site, because I have been introduced, by other authors, to sources that might be more financially acceptable for future projects.

Views: 1802

Replies to This Discussion

I think we all make some of these financial errors at first. I paid $1500 for an editor for my first novel. It wasn't a good fit and I wasted my money. But then I self-published two novels with CreateSpace. It cost me very little, about $40. I invested in software to design my own bookcovers, and did all the formatiing of the interior and exterior to upload to CreateSpace. I think it's a good way to go. Then you are completely responsible for all your own marketing, but really, it seems as if you are responsible for that anyway. You used to sell Fuller Brushes? I remember that...

Lynn Schneider

The publishers aren't the only ones with sales experience, so I talked them into including an editor for free, but there were still a few errors, but in their defense, they were mostly errors like I was using the phrase "the point was moot", and i used "mute", because that's how i've said it all my life...and since it's a word, I guess the editor made the same mistake I did, and just skimmed over it.  Yes, Fuller Brush still exists, i've just never seen a salesman in decades..

I might go with someone like CreateSpace next time...as long as they do hardcovers...I'm old-fashioned, and still like that hardcover look.

Lynn Schneider said:

I think we all make some of these financial errors at first. I paid $1500 for an editor for my first novel. It wasn't a good fit and I wasted my money. But then I self-published two novels with CreateSpace. It cost me very little, about $40. I invested in software to design my own bookcovers, and did all the formatiing of the interior and exterior to upload to CreateSpace. I think it's a good way to go. Then you are completely responsible for all your own marketing, but really, it seems as if you are responsible for that anyway. You used to sell Fuller Brushes? I remember that...

Lynn Schneider

Hi Stanley,

I am also an Authorhouse author.  Class of 2007. Reality 101 is a hard course to pass. Some writers flunk out or take an incomplete. We both pass because we both have published books.

Unfortunately, it is just a common pratice of Authorhouse to fleece their writers.   They are truly the modern day grifter of the self-publishing industry.You are not alone but, this site is the best place for honest, tried & true solutions to problems in the self-publishing industry. It seems that the only way to increase book sales is by creating a constant buzz and lots of hype. Perhaps you can get some of your money back by investing in yourself as a business and take off your expenses(rip off) from Authorhouse as a loss. Be sure to keep up with your royalty statements and for goodness sake do not communicate via phone with any of their 'marketing consultants' and keep all e-mails from them. Know also that they change marketing consultants as quickly as a liar twists the truth and that Amazon is not much better. They are on their writers like white on rice around the holiday seasons. I'm already getting their pre-holiday calls.

Please know that all marketing is really all up to you.  Good luck and if you think of any way I can be of help - just let me know.

I only fell for two things, right up front...press release and professional book review...It wasn't a total loss, as I did get an internet radio interview, that because of my topic, turned into a one hour infomercial.  And now I know who to go to for a professional book review, except next time without the 900% finders fee. And that book review is floating around, as I've seen it several places...I didn't take a big hit. Besides the printing package, the two marketing devices I paid for, and the books I've purchased, I'm invested $6900.  That includes entering awards contests, business cards, ect ect.   That also includes the purchase of 65 paperbacks (most of which I still have except for one sale and several for promotional purposes), and 300+ hardcovers (purchased for a booksigning on Dec 15).  If I sell all the hardcovers, I'll be back even, according to my credit card; however, my accounting shows I'll still be down somewhat.  So, as far as AuthorHouse goes, I think I've beaten them...or atleast gotten a draw...Guess it wasn't too expensive a lesson.

I'm always looking for ways to promote my book, cheaper the better.  I've been trying to do consignments in my local area, but I've only found one so far.  So, if you run into things that work, feel free to make suggests any time...I'm always open to marketing tools that don't cost me $2000 each...hehe

C. A. Lofton said:

Hi Stanley,

I am also an Authorhouse author.  Class of 2007. Reality 101 is a hard course to pass. Some writers flunk out or take an incomplete. We both pass because we both have published books.

Unfortunately, it is just a common pratice of Authorhouse to fleece their writers.   They are truly the modern day grifter of the self-publishing industry.You are not alone but, this site is the best place for honest, tried & true solutions to problems in the self-publishing industry. It seems that the only way to increase book sales is by creating a constant buzz and lots of hype. Perhaps you can get some of your money back by investing in yourself as a business and take off your expenses(rip off) from Authorhouse as a loss. Be sure to keep up with your royalty statements and for goodness sake do not communicate via phone with any of their 'marketing consultants' and keep all e-mails from them. Know also that they change marketing consultants as quickly as a liar twists the truth and that Amazon is not much better. They are on their writers like white on rice around the holiday seasons. I'm already getting their pre-holiday calls.

Please know that all marketing is really all up to you.  Good luck and if you think of any way I can be of help - just let me know.

Hi Stanley. After a lot of research I've used createspace for all of my first 3 books. It is an absolutely free service offered by an amazon owned company. Your only real costs is for the proof books you choose to order, and once approved the books you want afterwards. I can assure you there is absolutely no push to buy. However, the downside is you do all the marketing & promotion, and there is no option yet on hardcover print. For that you might want to check out Book Printing Revolution, Self-Publishing.com, Lulu, or Aardvark, since they have the lowest costs associated with hardcover print. Createspace does offer some fairly cheap packages in promotion assistance though and for a low annual fee of something like $50 (which I use myself on all my books) your ordered books are then priced at an authors discounted cost. Well worth the lower price to me. With createspace you have the option of free book listings on amazon & through amazon kindle, with an additional free createspace E-store. But be aware you are solely responsible for the promotional aspects of it all. If you format your book for smashwords.com they will see it retailed for all E-book readers at no cost at all & you set the price there as well. In the end though your own research will probably offer you the best opportunities. The internet offers all the comparisons if you have the time to check them out. I hope this helps a little bit and truly wish you the best of luck.

I am in your very exact boat. I too published with AuthorHouse. I even bought their largest advertising package because I knew I was not going to be able to do my own advertising very well. I don't believe I've received all the promotions you have but I have received some. My reply is for all the money I already paid them for advertising, considering the response I got for my dollar, they owe me. That usually shuts them up. I do have my book, and I do order a box or two from them from time to time, in fact I plan to order another box very soon. I hope to set it up with my son (or both of them) that if I supply them with the books, they can mail them when I sell some online. I'm waiting until I can get to town and get a new copy machine. I've found a place where I can record my signature. I'm hoping I can then sell a 'signed' copy of my book. The book itself won't be signed, though once in town I could do that too, but I could email my signature to the buyer and he could put it in the book. Ah well, it's a rough idea. I'm also going to see if I can get my book on a shelf or two while I'm in town. Wish me luck - and MAYBE I'll even be able to do a book signing. I hear they are fun. 

So, yeah. We all make mistakes and this was an expensive one, but I learned a thing or two. One thing is, never 'pay' for a review. If you're going to pay someone to review your book, you might as well tell them what to say too. If anyone is interested, I acquired a very long list of bloggers who review books. It's a couple years old now and at that time I found one person who didn't do that any more, but the few that I connected with at the time still blog about books. The list covers every genre there is (I think) If you would like a copy just ask. My email is AnnaLWalls@gmail.com 

Happy writing everyone

Well what an interesting discussion. I was pursued by Authorhouse last year and they wanted to sell me a package for £900 GBP upwards. At the time there was no way I could afford it, and even now I couldn't even if I wanted to. Anyway, I finally settled on a partnership publisher in order to get my book out there and start marketing my brand. Mirador Publishing are based in the UK which I prefer because I can speak to them more easily. They did everything except the marketing for me, but then I discovered through research that it was the best I could get for the money I paid. The point is, Mirador invested in me, and I paid a one-off fee for them to publish and distribute my book both as a paperback and ebook. Now all I have to do is the promotional work. I like them, and I feel I made an educated decision based on my discussions with other indie writers, and my research into the self-publishing industry.

Hello, Anna,

Sorry you got bit too.  But since you are buying boxes, I'm assuming you're atleast making sales.  I bought once, when I got my original free copies...and bought enough to get a total of 35 Hardcovers and 65 paperbacks...then I bought 275 copies last month...I have sold a few copies...very few, and have had retail sales, including 2 in the UK. My booksigning next month will be my first real sales...and I'm hoping I sell some, because i'm currently sitting with 10 boxes of hardcovers...

I did pay for the one book review; however, they reviewed my book, then sent it to me, and asked if I wanted it published...I feel it was an honest review, as it was only 3 stars out of 5.  I read it, and it sounded fair.  There were both pros and cons.  At 3 stars he was saying my book was average...some might even say mediocre....I think the fact they got paid to review it, and considering the results, it was an unbiased review. I will soon have another review I didn't pay for, and it will be coming in awhile, and we'll see....the one poor non-professional review I got was from someone who may or may not have read my book, as they didn't say.  He gave me 1 star, and his explanation was that I didn't write it the way he thought I should have...My book is about the myths and legends of Christianity, and he said I should have made it a comparison of Christianity to other religions, and that's all he said.  I could be wrong, but basically that's like someone saying a book about Ronald Reagon is only 1 star, because the author wrote about Ronald Reagon, instead of comparing Ronald Reagon to George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, and Bill Clinton.  So, I ignore that one critique, and I ignore the one a friend wrote, because she gave me 5 stars, and only because I wrote it, so totally biased.  But then, my book is very controversial, so most of my reviews are going to be love it or hate it, depending on their personal point of view.  It's solicits an emotional response, plain and simple...I know that upfront.

Hello, Cathrine,

I know how you feel...I'm still pursued by another AuthorHouse type publisher I had questioned before I went with AuthorHouse, but they don't bother me near as much as AuthorHouse does.  But they do think I'm one of their authors, as it requires you to be one of their authors to take advantage.

I was going to say, it would be too expensive to pay for my copies to be shipped from County Sumerset, all the way to the US...but they do say they have a printer here in the US, so it is a possible for my next project.  I do prefer the option of a Hardcover, so I'll have to investigate that possibility.  I just scanned thier site real fast, rather than researching the site in detail.

I did find a strickly printer, some years ago, when I was considering publishing my poetry.  They were not a publisher, and offered nothing but printing of books.  Their price varied on printing runs, but the average print run was between $2-3 USD.  I tried to find them when I wrote my book, but they no longer exist.  They were probably bought out by some publisher, just to get rid of competition.

I have dealt with Author House and i completely agree with

In ultimate analysis, self-publishing is mostly a rip-off.  They make money off the authors, instead of making money off book sales.  My book, “the next genesis” is selling and it is getting great reviews only because of my personal effort to promote the book. Hence, the publisher was useful even though he did not Fulfill his contractual commitments.  But the cost of promotion far exceeds royalties or profit even though the 2 Moon package cost me only 1200.00.

For more than one year I have been making a lot of research. I composed a small team and determine the root of the problem. POD is only good for retailers like Amazon. And when you do business with Amazon, and don’t provide a vehicle to market the book via the local bookstores, you do not get the visibility necessary to sell anywhere.

If you are serious about authoring, you should join Transmedia Press.  Cost you nothing and you could become a co-founder.  See the beginning at http://www.txgroup.org/App/Tools/36-Transmedia-Press.html#49 .  Our marketing tool, the Public Voice soon will be online.

So are you going to copy and paste this all over here? 

Humberto Sachs said:

In ultimate analysis, self-publishing is mostly a rip-off.  They make money off the authors, instead of making money off book sales.  My book, “the next genesis” is selling and it is getting great reviews only because of my personal effort to promote the book. Hence, the publisher was useful even though he did not Fulfill his contractual commitments.  But the cost of promotion far exceeds royalties or profit even though the 2 Moon package cost me only 1200.00.

For more than one year I have been making a lot of research. I composed a small team and determine the root of the problem. POD is only good for retailers like Amazon. And when you do business with Amazon, and don’t provide a vehicle to market the book via the local bookstores, you do not get the visibility necessary to sell anywhere.

If you are serious about authoring, you should join Transmedia Press.  Cost you nothing and you could become a co-founder.  See the beginning at http://www.txgroup.org/App/Tools/36-Transmedia-Press.html#49 .  Our marketing tool, the Public Voice soon will be online.

RSS

Sponsored Links

Most Active Members

1. Edward F. T. Charfauros

San Diego, CA, United States

2. RF Husnik

Green Bay, WI, United States

3. Rosemary Morris

Watford, United Kingdom

© 2024   Created by Authors.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service