Authors.com

Authors, Writers, Publishers, and Book Readers

Writing a novel has been a dream of mine for what seems like forever!  Recently I've finally had the opportunity to put in the time and effort to begin my first project.  I'm both excited and nervous and would appreciate any tips!!  I'm looking forward to sharing my writing and hearing any feedback and reviews!!  

Views: 367

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

yeah,, all the best for your project

Thanks so much Jeewan!  All the best to you as well :)

Good for you! I know how you feel. My dream finally came true last month when my first mystery novel, Mixed Messages, was published by Post Mortem Press. I was - and still am - ecstatic!

I've learned a few things on the road to publication and I'm learning every day. Step one - write your novel! Don't worry about it being perfect, just write it. You'll have plenty of time to rewrite and revise after your first draft, believe me. When you have your book as "perfect" as you can make it, present it to your critique group (did I forget to mention that a critique group is more valuable than a million Hershey bars?) and really listen to what they have to say but stay true to yourself. It's your book! Then, go home and do more rewrite.

There are so many opinions about what road to take toward publication. I spent a lot of years querying agents (who weren't interested in taking on someone who hadn't already been published) and I don't recommend you do that. Small press publishers abound and they are wonderful!

Best of luck. You can do this!

Hi Patrica,

Thank you for all your kind words of wisdom and encouragement!  I am really hoping to accomplish this.  Still getting through the first steps of my novel but really looking forward to the whole process!   It is the publishing part that I feel most nervous about and seems like it might be a bit frustrating once you get to that step but I'm always up for a good challenge!  

Hoping maybe you wouldn't mind being in my "critique group" when the time comes??

Cheers,

Andrea

Andrea,

The critique group I wrote about is a local group of writers. If you can find one in your area, I highly recommend it. The people in my group write in all different genres which sounds like a bad thing but is actually a good thing because there's no competition between us - only genuine help.

When the time comes and your novel is finished. (don't forget, everything takes longer than you think it will), if you have any questions, please feel free to email me or, if you're on Face Book, why not send me a friend request and that way you could message me.

Do you have a blog? If not, that's something I strongly suggest you do - now. I'll put the link to my blog here so you can see what I've done. Best of luck! Remember, if you can dream it, you can do it!

http://pat-writersforum.blogspot.com/

Andrea - Congrats! It is very exciting when you work on your first book - it only gets better with each one you launch! 

My biggest word of advice - make sure your work is edited professionally!  It can be expensive - but it will save your book in the long run.  You have no idea how hard those 1 and 2 star reviews can be when the "haters" come out of the closet about poor grammar, editing or formatting! 

Best wishes!!!

Hi Stacy,

Thanks for the advice.  I'm sure I will definitely need the outside professional review, especially with this being my first project.  Sent you an "add friend" request - hope you don't mind!

Andrea

Stacy Eaton said:

Andrea - Congrats! It is very exciting when you work on your first book - it only gets better with each one you launch! 

My biggest word of advice - make sure your work is edited professionally!  It can be expensive - but it will save your book in the long run.  You have no idea how hard those 1 and 2 star reviews can be when the "haters" come out of the closet about poor grammar, editing or formatting! 

Best wishes!!!

Hi Andrea

'Novel' mean new or different story or even a point of view, anything that makes it refreshing to read.

What genre is your work going to be?

How many words?

Do you know your audience enough to make money from your work?

or Do you plan to write for the enjoyment?

Can you translate your idea for your novel into a short story or flash fiction or even poetry?

Do you already have a 'platform?'

Since you decided on  a novel what new aspect of writing have you discovered? 

You don't need to reply back to me with the answers but you need to find answers to them for your own benefit.

To write a novel it is most important to know the genre. Other writers involved in the same genre can then swap experiences. 

For a new writer there is a free e-book on the web that gives out good advice. You might search and find it. I can't remember the exact title but I'll try to find it for you.

Best wishes with your project

Cleveland W. Gibson

Thanks so much Cleveland for the advice and well wishes!!

HI Andrea - You are welcome - and I accepted!

Andrea Phillips said:

Hi Stacy,

Thanks for the advice.  I'm sure I will definitely need the outside professional review, especially with this being my first project.  Sent you an "add friend" request - hope you don't mind!

Andrea

Stacy Eaton said:

Best wishes!!!

Andrea, do yourself a big favour, and don't, I mean don't  be naive enough to show or ask your family and friends for feedback or ideas to "improve" your novel. They may mean well, but trust me, that's a sure fire way to destroy your initial enthusiasm and confidence. Other than that, if you're laptopping, always double or even triple backup!

Write on,

Jack...

write a novel

The Marshall Plan

Free e-book

Check out the above title.

Best wishes

Cleveland

award winner 2011

www.CELJ.org

Reply to Discussion

RSS