Authors.com

Authors, Writers, Publishers, and Book Readers

How many of you have multiple works in progress?  Are they all the same genre? How do you divide your time between them?

Currently, I have 4 WIP's.... sounds like alot huh?  Right now I am thinking that too!  As my second book just went back to my publisher for the formatting (after 13 hours of editing, my eyes are still crossed) I find myself looking at all the projects I have in the works.

One project is about half way through - but I had come up with a snag in the plot and I got frustrated so I put it on the back burner.  Recently, as I find myself mulling over the issue, I think I found the way to work through my snag... but.... There is a more recent project that I started that I was working hard on.  As soon as I figured out how to work through the other issue, I lost my train of thought on the new one. 

Then there is the other book that I am working on with another author.  Now that one is a huge project that will be in the making for a long time, but we are throwing ideas back and forth and running plot ideas and twists back and forth.

Then there is book 3 of my series (the second book is about to be published).  After reading book 2 - and coming back to those characters I find myself running that plot hard and heavy in my mind.  Conversations and characters building.... 

I'm at a loss right now as to exactly what I should be working on.  I think I have so many things in the works that I am befuddled as to which one to go to next. 

Anyone else get themselves in this situations?  How do you work through them?

Views: 1551

Replies to This Discussion

Oh! And Stacy I think you need to work on the sequel to My Blood Runs Blue. That's the one I'd work on anyway, not that I'm waiting for the sequel or anything, just a friendly suggestion *hint hint* lol
I hear what you mean. This morning I went outside for a smoke and a cup of coffee and an idea came to me so I hurried in to write it down and I spilt the coffee on my keyboard. I quickly turned the board upside down (Is upsidedown one word??? I don't think so, Anyways, it must not have hurt it, I' m writing this. And yes, I also hear from my wife all you ever do is write...Not true, maybe somewhat...

Catherine Green said:
Hi guys, I'm in the club! I am currently officially on maternity leave from my part-time job, although I won't be returning since childcare is too expensive. Anyway, I thought it would be easy to continue working from home while caring for my 7 month old daughter. Big mistake! So far I am trying to market and promote my first novel, while writing a sequel, a spin-off novel which has elements of Steampunk, and various short stories. All of my work is written in the paranormal genre, a mixture of romance and horror. Alongside this I am a gest blogger for an online writers' network, I write two personal blogs, and I write freelance articles for a web magazine. My husband constantly moans at me for going to bed late and we barely see each other. Life sure is crazy, but we love it, you know what I'm talking about! (And my characters speak to me late at night when I am in bed trying to sleep, or while I am washing dishes and doing laundry, or when I am walking the dog and baby...)
lol... Amy- Blue Blood for Life - which is book 2 - will be out in a few weeks!!!  I started writing up plot notes on book 3 yesterday.  But don't expect that one to be out until April.

Amy Manemann said:
Oh! And Stacy I think you need to work on the sequel to My Blood Runs Blue. That's the one I'd work on anyway, not that I'm waiting for the sequel or anything, just a friendly suggestion *hint hint* lol
Robert - lol....  Hopefully while you were hanging the keyboard upside down - you didn't forget the thoughts you had!  I have done that - very frustrating!!!   I guess we are all in the same boat when it comes to our spouses...  I know that one evening - I got the entire plot of one of my books in about 30 minutes. I was in the car when it hit me.  When i got home - I immediately went to my computer and banged out chapter 1 and 2. When my husband came home he asked what I was doing. I told him I started a new book. He just looked at me and said, "I think I will just leave the house.  You seem to get much more done when I'm not around." I chuckled and went back to my book.  he's right... I do.

Robert I hate it when that happens, so glad your keyboard dried out for you ;0)

Stacy I'll definitey be on the look out for Blue Blood for Life lol And I hear you, I get waaaay more accomplished when nobody else is around. I just can't seem to get into a groove if I know someone else is in the room. Egads, what if they see my editing mistakes? lol

I don't know if you would call them all works in progress per se, but in addition to working on my second novel, I have also outlined my third, which is the last part of a trilogy.  I am also outlining my next series, which will be a quintet.  All of my stories take place in the world I have created, the world of Darithye, so naturally, it's all Fantasy. I have so much going on in my brain right now, I wish I could clone myself to get it all done.  I have a spiral notebook that I keep with me at all times.  Any time an idea pops into my head, I write it down (even the ones I later think to be dumb).  You never know when something comes to mind, and I'd hate to forget.
I just love this site! I thought I was losing it by having multiple works in progress...I have  writings for children's books along with multiple fiction works and one non fiction. My family and friends love the stories so far, but they are not complete. My little writing "bug" seems to pop in at weird times like now, very early in the morning or while I'm driving. I keep  a recorder and note books around me at all times so I dont miss a thought. All I can say is "write on"!

Buster - I would call them all works in progress!  If it is something that you have started to plan, then it's in progress!  The only idea that is dumb is the one we forget or the one we never look deeper into. 

Mary - I agree writing all our ideas down is a great way to keep track of them. I just bought a new 5 section notebook so I can put thoughts of each of my 4 projects into one particular section and use the 5th section for anything "else" that comes to mind. 

So far so good, but I think the number's key is a bit sticky. My wife loves to read romance so she reads a lot and I write but when I hear the words Honey, I don't have a book, I always say time to go to B&N so I can write. This weekend went out of town and she had me for three days without writing. She was happy. So was I, but I missed writing. In the morning I'll make up for those days missed. However, sometimes after not writing for a few days, it's hard to get going...

Stacy Eaton said:
Robert - lol....  Hopefully while you were hanging the keyboard upside down - you didn't forget the thoughts you had!  I have done that - very frustrating!!!   I guess we are all in the same boat when it comes to our spouses...  I know that one evening - I got the entire plot of one of my books in about 30 minutes. I was in the car when it hit me.  When i got home - I immediately went to my computer and banged out chapter 1 and 2. When my husband came home he asked what I was doing. I told him I started a new book. He just looked at me and said, "I think I will just leave the house.  You seem to get much more done when I'm not around." I chuckled and went back to my book.  he's right... I do.
Robert - I agree - the longer you are away from writing - the harder it is to get back into it.  I'm kind of there right now - I think that is what is causing my problem.

I try to write a little bit each day, even if it's not the project I'm currently working on. At least it helps keep the juices still flowing. My problem is I can be a procrastinator and sometimes when I do get time to get a lot of writing done I'll only do a bit and then move on to something else. Staying on task is one my biggest challenges :0)

Amy - I think we all have that problem from time to time - I know I do.  By the way - I did finish your book - loved it - and hope to get your review done today!

RSS

Sponsored Links

Most Active Members

1. Edward F. T. Charfauros

San Diego, CA, United States

2. RF Husnik

Green Bay, WI, United States

3. Rosemary Morris

Watford, United Kingdom

© 2024   Created by Authors.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service