Authors.com

Authors, Writers, Publishers, and Book Readers

Please share what inspires you, has touched you or is in some way memorable for you. I'm very fond of quotes by writers that give me a peek inside their skulls, like this one. :)

Often I'll find clues to where the story might go by figuring out where the characters would rather not go. - Doug Lawson

Views: 328

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. - Douglas Adams
Writing is the only thing that, when I do it, I don't feel I should be doing something else. - Gloria Steinem
Yes Scribbler. These giants know best. I love reading and always have but as I say, I now read not just to enjoy the book but to learn. I am finding I am revisiting the best of my bookshelves in order to learn why and how they did it. Are there any ideas and learning oppportunities for me in those stories I love... as we all know we never stop learning.

I am also reading Writers and Media Year Book 2010, essential tips and info for the writer.

"I always treated writing as a profession, never as a hobby. If you don't believe in yourself, no one else will."
Laurell K. Hamilton
How are you finding that, Sean? Is it easy to read a book again with an analytical eye on what the author's doing? I'd be interested in hearing more about how you're doing it and what you're discovering. It would be great if you could start a new thread about that. I don't want to hijack this one with my curiosity. :)

Sean Noonan said:
Yes Scribbler. These giants know best. I love reading and always have but as I say, I now read not just to enjoy the book but to learn. I am finding I am revisiting the best of my bookshelves in order to learn why and how they did it. Are there any ideas and learning oppportunities for me in those stories I love... as we all know we never stop learning.

I am also reading Writers and Media Year Book 2010, essential tips and info for the writer.

"I always treated writing as a profession, never as a hobby. If you don't believe in yourself, no one else will."
Laurell K. Hamilton
A children's story that can only be enjoyed by children is not a good children's story in the slightest. - C.S. Lewis
I like that!!!!

Kay Elizabeth said:
A children's story that can only be enjoyed by children is not a good children's story in the slightest. - C.S. Lewis
My own quote . . . .

"If I listened to and did everything everyone told me do, my life would be bits and pieces of everyone else's lives, rather than my own!"
Wise words there, Jennifer! :)

Jennifer April Smith said:
My own quote . . . .

"If I listened to and did everything everyone told me do, my life would be bits and pieces of everyone else's lives, rather than my own!"
He that gives good advice, builds with one hand; he that gives good counsel and example, builds with both; but he that gives good admonition and bad example, builds with one hand and pulls down with the other. - Francis Bacon, Sr.
Absolutely agree. You just have to read the winnie the pooh stories and you cant but have a smile on your face.

Much of my reading time over the last decade and a half has been spent reading aloud to my children. Those children's bedtime rituals of supper, bath, stories, and sleep have been a staple of my life and some of the best, most special times I can remember.
Louise Brown

Kay Elizabeth said:
Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested.
Francis Bacon

Brilliant stuff. I like combining eatings and reading. I am awaiting the next "wheel of time" book which I am sure I will devour with gusto.
I love that quote, Sean! Very apt indeed. Some books need to be spat out too like sour milk though LOL. ;)

Sean Noonan said:
Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested.
Francis Bacon

Brilliant stuff. I like combining eatings and reading. I am awaiting the next "wheel of time" book which I am sure I will devour with gusto.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Sponsored Links

Most Active Members

1. Edward F. T. Charfauros

San Diego, CA, United States

2. RF Husnik

Green Bay, WI, United States

3. Rosemary Morris

Watford, United Kingdom

© 2024   Created by Authors.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service