Authors.com

Authors, Writers, Publishers, and Book Readers

I have an easy question for you. Does anyone feel that it is hard to be a reader and a writer. If not, how much do you read in contrast to how much time you write. For me, I don't have time to read because I am writing and do the family thing with a wife of fifteen years, and six kids, five at home. I have two books right now that I would like to read, but just too busy. And, don't get me started on marketing Book I. That just means that much less time to read. And, then there is actually working for a living through a job, which I am trying to find right now. As we all know as writers or authors that there are just too many of us out there now for our writing to be profitable early on. To such extents that it almost feels as though you have to know someone to get published. I want to believe that my love for writing will make me an awesome living, gain favor with many, but I have to be real, and honest with myself, I am not special. We're all racing for the writing gold.

Anyway, I guess my real question is this. Does one actually have to be a reader to be a writer or author? My thoughts are that no. And, although I do read, I don't even write for the genre I read.

GD Thompson, Sr.

Author of The Angel Chronicles Book I Angel in the Darkness

Views: 158

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi GD, I hope all is well with you :)

I totally understand where you are coming from. I am a single parent and am also currently looking for work and trying to wright my first book. So I know that there arent enough hours in the day, but I do think that you must LOVE books and said love for books does not always traslate into time to read those books. I do think that reading helps you to be a better writer so i would think that someone who never reads ( and I did say NEVER, which I'm sure you would read if you had time) would not be that great of a writer. You really just have to make time and I think for us people living in the real world things do take a little longer. I heard Stephenie Meyer say she wrote Twilight in three months, I dont see how, but I guess she got in a space and did nothing all day but wright. So with all that said dont be so hard on yourself, get done with your book then you can catch up on reading. their is a difference between someone who never reads and you just not having time at the moment.

Everything will work out

Penetra

Thanks for responding. I appreciate that you can relate. I almost felt as if I was cheating the system by writing but not reading. Anyway, thanks again. I am glad to know I am not alone.

GD Thompson, Sr.
I wish I had more time to read, as you say when you have a family, and have to work full time as well. Me I even have a part time job as well so I'm working seven days a week with no time off, I'm the only one bringing in an income so I have to work two jobs to keep things a float. My wife should be on disability but has been denied so many times we've given up. She even had doctors sign off on it saying she needed to be on disability. Still was denied, she's bed ridden 80% of the day applied for a scooter chair for her, they denied her because she wasn't 100% bedridden??? If she was 100% bedridden she wouldn't even be able to use the damn thing! Insurance companies I swear. Any way sorry I got off track. But yes I to find little time to read, or write anymore for that matter. I've got eleven books published through createspace now expanded distribution have my titles both on Paprback and Kindle, had them on Nook Book but sales were dismal at best much better on KDP select through Amazon KIndle sales at least are better my book sales are non-existent. I've even lowered my paperback prices to where I don't make but a dime each title and still can't make any book sales. Donated a set of all my books to a local Library hoping to have a book signing sometime in the near future. Has anyone else experianced poor book sales. Ebooks are doing ok I just don't seem to be selling many paperbacks?
By the way it's good to be back at Authors.com, it's been awhile. Greetings everyone. Lost my mother to Alzheimers last November, kind of been in a twlight zone state ever sense. Sorry it took so long to touch base. Garry
I've had some health issues myself, and my nephew we have guardianship of Thomas, tried to commit suicide. So me and my wife have had alot to deal with. I got injured keeping the boy from injuring himself. He's doing better now. I'm still on the mend though. My nephew is now On antidepressants, he's been dealing with a kidney disease and it finally just over whelmed him to the point where he said what's the point of living any more? Had three bad episodes with him. Gradually he's making improvment.

I have the same problem.  I actually can't read while I'm writing because I am distracted by the technical elements of the story I'm reading.  I envision the writer and what they must be thinking, their use of adverbs and adjectives, etc instead of enjoying the story.  I've had that problem since I was about fifteen.  I read a lot then, almost everything in sight.  Then one day back then I started reading a book that was so clever, moreso than any other that I had ever read, I slammed it down and never finished it.  It was too d---  clever.   It was at that point, I decided I must do the same, write my own "clever" books.  Ever since then, books (at least fiction) never read the same.  I try and never get past a few chapters.  It's like Samantha has placed a spell on me and to break the spell :  finish my first book.

I feel that I am alone in this.  I;m surprised I'm admitting it.  At conferences, everyone advises to read in your genre, yet some say only after you've finished your first draft to keep from plagiarizing.  It's true to read in order to be a good writer, because I am having great difficulty.  I notice that contemporary books of this generation are different from those when I was growing up.  I tend to write in "the old style" which probably would not appeal to youngsters of today (I write young adult). 

I also don't have time to do a lot of reading working full-time, and my regular job requires a lot of reading itself.

I read more than I write.

I think more than I read and more than I write.

Steven King says you must be an avid reader and a writer.

But each to their own, we all have our lives to lead and time does seem in short supply for all what an author needs to do. Just persevere and be determined. Keep your eye on the goal and be aware most successful authors took years to be recognised. Love what you do and be grateful for the opportunity to share yourself with the world.

I read before going to sleep and when travelling, which I do a lot, but if I am in writing mode (full on focus) I am committed to the writing and all other books must wait. The characters in my stories wouldn't allow anything else! There would be a revolt in the back of my head, probably lead by Grumphspawn the Great Wizard himself.

I am finishing up book four now and have another 8 to go... Just as well its fun.

Good luck and keep writing

Sean

Hi, I'm a newby on here and questions like yours I have pondered.  Fortunately for me, I have a sounding board (sidekick) that keeps me grounded about things that seem to get in the way like reading all the latest works, articles, etc.  I don't want all of that in my head, and frankly, can't remember most of what I read or watch.  I guess I'm the audience . . . I read for enjoyment and sure don't want to read to compare my writing with others or worse, convince myself that I'm not good enough.  I'm learning daily that we read according to our moods.  So, if you're in the mood to read, by golly do it.  If you're in the mood to write, do it.  If your in the mood for sex, ice cream . . . you get my drift. 

I've got forty plus years of avid reading under my belt. Writing came late, and like yourself, a budding writer cannot serve two masters. Much as I would love to resume the sheer pleasure of reading a book for entertainment, certain factors mean that I simply cannot find the time nor the energy; not to mention the extra strain it puts on my eyes. Whaddya gonna do?

I too have to get out there and bring home the bacon, which doesn't help with the energy and concentration required to buckle down to serious writing. You're very perceptive when you admit to being just one of thousands; I'm in the same boat. I guess we need to remind ourselves that we should only indulge our passion through a genuine love of writing for writing's sake. Writing cynically to make money will show in our work as surely as formulaic, suit the market song writing will turn off genuine music fans. (Sigh)

This is a tough gig, but take heart ... ya gotta believe that cream will eventually rise to the top; meanwhile,

write on, bro ... write on...

Like many of you here - I work a full time job - but my job isn't 9-5 - its 13-16 hours away from home on a rotating schedule - a couple weeks of days - a couple weeks of nights.  Then I own my own business - I take Tae Kwon Do - I have a husband who works the same crazy schedule I do and an 8 year old girl at home.  I market constantly, and spend a lot of time helping other authors learn to market and build a platform. I had 2 books published last year - one about to launch July 13th - and 7 more on the table in progress. And guess what... I read...

I read like 3-4 books a week. In my genre - out of my genre (I cross genre's so to me it does not matter). I read what I want.  I never watch television - while my family is chilling next to me - I have my kindle on. I carry it with me everywhere - If I am stuck someplace and have to wait a few minutes - I turn it one and get a few pages read. During meal time at work, I sit and read a chapter. Waiting for my daughter to get out of school, I sit and read a few minutes.

I do not think it really matters if you have to be a reader to be a writer - but I know that if you are a reader - then you read - how often and where are up to you.

I live with a reader like you, Stacy.  He panics if he has nothing to scan while idle. I just wonder what you guys do with all that info.  One thing for certain, he is a wonderful conversationalist - he knows a little about everything.  I like Cleveland's post.  I think more than either, myself.  Truth is, I'd rather write than think.  Thinking is highly over-rated!   And Garry, hang in there bud!  As for Steven King . . . phooey!  Jack, keep writing - it makes us better people.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Sponsored Links

Most Active Members

1. Edward F. T. Charfauros

San Diego, CA, United States

2. RF Husnik

Green Bay, WI, United States

3. Rosemary Morris

Watford, United Kingdom

© 2024   Created by Authors.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service